Friday, April 15, 2011

Stolen Moments

This morning when I woke up it was raining. I don't always love rainy days--especially when there is a long string of them--but this particular morning I just wanted to curl up, stare out the window, and listen to the sound of the world rushing by in the downpour. But then I heard the girls moving around upstairs and I thought, "The girls are up. Soon they will wake up Quint, and my quiet moment will be interrupted before it starts. Why bother." Funny. I find that I am interrupted so often that I now anticipate interruptions. But then I thought, "You know, I think I'll sit for a minute anyway. Even if I only get two minutes it will be worth it." And then I had a minor epiphany. How often do I miss out on a moment because I know I'll be yanked out of it before I'm ready? VERY OFTEN. Every day, in fact. How much enjoyment of life am I missing? I think I'd like to find out! So, guess what? I decided to steal a moment staring out the window this morning. And--delightfully--my moment turned into half an hour of reading the book of Esther curled up next to my husband on the sofa. Eventually, the girls clomped down the stairs and interrupted my reading, Quint woke up fifteen minutes later, and I had to get up. But I guess the point is that had a I resigned myself to what I thought would happen, I would have missed out on a beautiful start to my day.

I pray you savor a moment today, Friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment