Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Classical Singing and Contemporary Worship: Incompatible?

So, here's the thing. I'm a classical singer. I am a Christian. Many of the churches I've attended are really going for a contemporary style in music, presumably in an effort to be "relevant" in an ever-changing culture. Now, I am fairly certain that a classical style voice wouldn't be welcome on a Sunday morning at my church. I am married to the worship pastor after all. I won't put words in his mouth, but I know opera isn't a sound he's looking for. I'm not really sure that I'm suggesting that we should be incorporating this style into our worship services, but I do find myself wishing that I could somehow merge two of my passions: classical singing and worshipping God. That does make sense, right? It seems logical to me. Music and worship go together, right? I recognize there are churches out there that do incorporate classical style voice (I accompanied for one for a year and a half), but in my experience these churches can't or don't do any contemporary music at all. And I LIKE contemporary music! I guess I just want it all.

Am I being unreasonable?

No comments:

Post a Comment