Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sweet Potato Cinnamon French Toast

I made this recipe up last week, and I have to tell you... it was DELICIOUS. Seriously. So I must share. Now, if you read my last recipe, you know that I have trouble with measuring and following directions. So bear with me; these are just estimations. But I highly doubt you could mess this up if you've made French Toast before.


Ingredients:

1/2 of a large baked sweet potato
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tbsp (or so) of sugar and cinnamon mixed together
2 large eggs
1 1/2 milk (you can always a little more if needed)
bread ( I used Trader Joe's Organic Oatmeal Multigrain Bread)
butter
maple syrup

Directions:

Take the sweet potato (peeled of course), applesauce, and sugar/cinnamon mixture and mash it and mix it together. In a separate bowl, beat two eggs. Add milk and sweet potato mixture. Mix together until combined. At this point, you will want to warm your skillet on medium heat. I personally don't like cooking spray so I use butter. I put enough butter in the pan to coat it. Be careful not to let the butter burn. Take a slice of bread and dip it in the egg mixture, covering both sides. Place the bread in the pan and cook on both sides. Serve with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and drizzle some maple syrup over the top. So good!


Tips and Tricks:

I mix ground cinnamon and sugar in a spice container so I can just sprinkle some on my food when the desire strikes me. Very handy.

I use a pastry cutter to mash things with-avocados for guacamole, bananas for bread, etc. You get the picture.

The trick to this recipe is to find just the right temperature. If it is too hot, it will burn the egg coating and leave the middle of the bread too soggy. Not hot enough, and you end up standing there for 5 minutes, spatula in hand, wondering if they're ever gonna cook (my family isn't patient enough for this scenario).

Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did!



1 comment:

  1. Now that's a great way to get a veggie serving in the a.m.- especially for the kids! French toast is a classic!

    ReplyDelete